Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine's Day

For some people, Valentine's Day can be a painful day if they are single or are away from their significant others.  Then you have those who prefer to hate Valentine's Day and instead of just ignoring it, make it their goal to ruin it for everyone else.  If either is the case for you, you should probably stop ready this post right now....

For those of you who like Valentine's Day or are couldn't care either way, by all means, keep reading...

Last year, my husband was still stationed in Virginia and it was a little hard being away from him, especially since we had spent the previous six Valentine's Days together; but this year, he woke me up with a glass of sparkling grape juice (he said he had wanted to get wine, but decided against it, after all it was 9 o'clock in the morning), a long-stemmed rose, a box of chocolate, a card, a chick flick that I love (and he can't stand.. that's true love) and then when I went out to the front porch, a pot of tulips (my favorite flower) were sitting there waiting for me.


He deserves gifts also, so I got him five days of playing video games without my complaining (a great sacrifice on my part just so you know), chocolates, sunflower seeds (there are like cigarettes to him) and mini bottles of Jack Daniels (I thought he might like that more than flowers).

For our Valentine's date, we went to eat at Tokyo Steak House in San Antonio; it's this great Japanese cooking table restaurant that is in a terrible location.  The part of town isn't a bad one, but the restaurant is part of a huge building that houses at least one other place, and that is all hidden behind other shops.

Since we went sort of early, we were one of the only parties there and that meant we had the whole table and chef to ourselves.  While that made for less awkward small talk with strangers, it also meant more awkward
small talk with the chef (usually we prefer to appreciate the cooking process in silence, while the other people talk).


The salad was good, but different from the last time we had eaten there.  We like the dressing to have more ginger than it did this time.  The soup was also good, but different and the fried onion they put in it was almost too much.

The main meal was so good that I didn't even have to add soy sauce and if you know me at all, I add always add soy sauce.  But this time, the food was so flavorful I just didn't want to ruin it.  I also got a virgin strawberry daiquiri because the one with alcohol was too expensive and I'm cheap..  It was really good and sweet, with a sugar rim that make the whole thing taste like a strawberry pie!


We were so full halfway through it that we took plenty of leftovers to go..The meal was great, but at the same time, it also made us miss this place that we use to go to in Virginia.  It was called Sakura, and if Tokyo Steak was a cheeseburger, Sakura would be a filet mignon!

Afterwards, we went to see a sneak preview (out just for Valentine's Day) of the new movie, "This Means War", that comes out on Friday.  That movie is hilarious and it doesn't hurt that starring in it are two very pleasing-to-the-eye guys who like to kick butt!


Also in the spirit of Valentine's Day, my mom made these cute cupcakes 

 

and I made some Valentine's Day Marshmallows (which I will be posting about very soon!)


All in all, I had a great Valentine's Day, as I hope everyone else DID as well!..and if you didn't, remember, you have a whole year until the next one!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment