Thursday, February 23, 2012

Happy 100th Birthday, Oreo! (and 22nd to my brother)

On March 6th of this year, milk’s (and my own) favorite cookie, Nabisco’s Oreo, will be turning 100!

In celebration of the milestone, Nabisco has released a limited edition flavor called “Birthday Cake” and I’m really excited about this, because I really do love Oreos, but I mean, who doesn’t?!



While I unfortunately haven’t had a chance to try them yet (I haven’t even seen them in stores where I live), so far the feedback (of the lucky ones whose stores are actually carrying them) seems to be positive.

Until I get a chance to try them for myself however, I will just have to make do with the original... life is so hard sometimes.

Below is what I decided to make to celebrate both the Oreo’s birthday and my little (well younger, he’s been quite a bit taller than me for some time now) brother’s 22nd birthday.

I decided on the mini Oreo cheesecakes for two reasons.  One, the whole two birds with one stone thing, meaning, I got something to blog about, while eating Oreos and made something for my brother’s birthday (so I guess that’s three birds..), and two he loves all things sweet, chocolate and cheesecake-y.

Mini Oreo Cheesecakes
adapted from the recipe @kraftrecipes.com


32 Oreo cookies, divided
3 pkg. of 8oz cream cheese (I like Philadelphia)
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup of sour cream
1 tsp vanilla (wish my homemade extract was ready!)
3 eggs
Whipped cream topping (make it yourself if you have time)

Directions

Heat oven to 350

Place 1 cookie in each of the cupcake holders

Chop the remaining 8 cookies and set aside

Beat cream cheese and sugar until blended

Add sour cream and vanilla until mixed well


Add eggs, 1 at a time

Stir in chopped cookies


Scoop into baking cups

Bake 18 to 20 mins

Cool completely and refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours

Top with whipped cream.


Makes 24 mini cheesecakes

***Kraft Kitchen Tips:

If you are going to make ahead: Cheesecakes can be stored in refrigerator up to 3 days, or frozen up to 1 month, before topping with COOL WHIP and cookie half just before serving. If freezing cheesecakes, thaw overnight in refrigerator before garnishing.




Happy Birthday Oreo!
and to Stephen too!

No comments:

Post a Comment