Monday, February 27, 2012

DIY Birthday Cupcake Picks & Cake Banner

The upside to the profession I have chosen for my life, (baker, in case you were wondering) is that I get to be creative everyday and make things that are pretty and people can enjoy... the downside is that when you are trying to start your own baking business, things can get pretty expensive.

I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a way to cut down on some costs, without loosing any of the quality of work (and just FYI, I am a perfectionist when it comes to the work I do for other people).

During my search, I have come across numerous websites and examples of people making their own decorations for their cupcakes and cakes; and while I am by no means an expert at crafting, I can pull together a few "crafty" things if I set my mind to it..

To make these Birthday Cupcake Picks and a "Happy Birthday" Cake Banner, I used:

  • Wax Paper
  • Scissors
  • Super Glue
  • Scrap-booking Stickers, I got mine from Wal-Mart
  • Wooden beads, also from Wal-Mart
  • Wooden Skewers
  • Toothpicks
  • String/twine/ribbon, etc. (pictured is black ribbon, but I didn't like how it was working out so I switched to twine)

The whole process is quick and easy and I did 25 picks and 1 banner in about 15 minutes.


For the picks, I just pulled off the sticker cover and glued the toothpick onto it.  Make sure you do this on top of wax paper because the glue might drip and that would be bad... I used super glue because I liked that when it dries you can't see it at all and because it's such a strong glue, I know the designs wont fall off into the cake!  Let the picks dry complete before you try to pick them up, or the glue may drip down the toothpick and that's how you get fingers glued to things...

For the banner, I measured out how much string/twine/etc. I wanted to use and strung "Happy Birthday" in block letters onto it.  Then I knotted the twine and put a dab of glue to hold it in place.  I left it looking sort of plain that way I could add ribbons, etc. to match whatever theme I was making it for.

And the final product...


So now that I know how easy it is to make my own cupcake toppers, I am really excited to try out more designs!  Hopefully you like what you see and are inspired to try your hand at making your own cupcake and cake toppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment