Monday, February 13, 2012

To Austin!...Again: Cougar Town & Salt Lick


As a part of the Cougar Town U.S. Tour, the show's creator and some of the actors came to Austin to hold a viewing of three episodes of the upcoming season of the poorly named, but really hilarious show, "Cougar Town" starring Courtney Cox. 

My husband found out about the event from, where else, Twitter and signed us up right away! 

They held it at the Alamo Draft House on Lamar and the entire thing was free including the T-shirt (see pic) and two drinks each.  The husband got two beers that I can't even remember the name of, but they were, of course, the most expensive ones on the menu!  I got a mimosa and (lame) a Dr. Pepper; in my defense it was huge and I was really thirsty!

The episodes they showed were hilarious and afterwards they did a Q&A and some of the audience was able to play Penny Can (if you don't know what that is, find out) and answer trivia questions for autographed scripts, Penny Cans and other memorbilia.

We didn't have great seats, but it was still really fun

Afterwards, we got to meet two of the actors.  They were really nice guys!

Not a great picture of either of us, unfortunately

Darn them, that's a good picture!
 Afterwards, the Cougar Town people were holding an after party at this bar next door, but we were being an old married couple and decided just to go eat and head back to the hotel.. Hey it was almost 10 o'clock!

So we drove over to Congress and since I had been craving Mexican food in a bad way, we ate at this restaurant called Guero's.  I'd been there before a few years ago and really liked it, but it wasn't anything like I remembered.

My husband got a huge burrito!  And he said that while it wasn't bad, it just didn't have a whole lot of flavor.


I got the fish tacos with corn tortillas and lack of flavor was my dish's biggest killer as well.  I was bummed because the fish was actually really tasty, especially with the lime on top, but the rice and tortillas were just bland.


My favorite thing about my meal was, without a doubt, the guacamole!


Guero's
1412 South Congress Avenue  
Austin, TX 78704
(512) 447-7688



The next morning, on Sunday, after we went to the city wide garage sale (which was pretty awesome), we went and had lunch at The Salt Lick.  We've been there before, but a couple years ago. 

Now it is huge!  and  packed with people.
They had two dining areas, which were full to capacity, an outdoor picnic area (which is where we ended up because the wait for a dining table was an hour and a half!), a band playing, a gift shop, a huge to-go area, a lemonade and popcorn stand and of course their own winery and tasting area.

This was the band.  Their name is Aimless Gun and they are really good!

I got the turkey and brisket plate with cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans...

 bread and pickles.

My husband got sausage, brisket, green bean casserole and a peach cobbler.
We split a lemonade.
The food was amazing!  The barbeque sauce was probably one of the best things I've ever eaten and if I could drink that stuff, I would! 

The BBQ Pit
  

We had such a blast at The Salt Lick!  The food was great, the band was really good and just the environment was exactly what I love about Texas.  You can't eat barbeque outside in January in Virginia!

The Salt Lick
18300 FM 1826
Driftwood, TX 78619

No comments:

Post a Comment