Thursday, February 2, 2012

Our Trip to Austin - Pluckers, Fran's, Hey Cupcake

I just love the city of Austin!  Everything about it is so, for lack of a better word, coolThe music, the buildings, but most of all... the food.


My husband had to come up here the weekend before last to finish up a movie called, "Trusted", that he had worked on back in November.  Not wanting to get left behind, I decided to tag along.


We left our house at 4:30 in the morning, on a Saturday (blasphemy!) to make the 2 hour drive to Austin.  After I dropped him off at the location that they were going to be working at all day, I of course began in my pursuit of finding breakfast.  Now it's been a good two or three years since I drove around Austin by myself, and although I use to live there, I began confusing the road names and directions and everything else!  I mean, I've spent the last three or so years navigating my way around northern Virgina and D.C. and just so you know, their highway systems are completely different than ours; no access roads!


Anyway, after about an hour of, "Oh, I think this is it", I began to remember where the heck I was!  By that time my stomach was no longer growling, but roaring at me to eat some food.  Not knowing what was opened, I stopped at a Marie Calendar's and got their waffles.  Awesome.


I preceded to spend the rest of the day driving around, killing time, until I could check into the hotel and get some sleep.  Unfortunately for that whole sleep idea, I started reading the Hunger Games.  That is one great book!


For lunch, I stopped at Pluckers, a wing bar that started on Rio Grande in Austin and has spread out to over 12 locations, including one in Lousiana.



I got 10 wings; 5 mild, 5 garlic parmesan.  I am proud to say I ate them all, and they were delicious.  However, I'm not that proud to mention that I got wing sauce on my book while I was gobbling it up (figuratively), just as fast as I was with my wings (literally).


After I picked up my film making husband, we went to find dinner.  I would like to point at that it was at least five hours between my wing binge and dinner, thank you very much.


We went to Fran's Hamburgers.  Now if you have ever been to Austin, the chances of you having eaten at Fran's is probably pretty high; more than likely you've at least seen it.



 It was even on an episode of the (awesome and really missed) television show, "Friday Night Lights."




I got a cheeseburger, everything on it but onions, while the husband got a double cheeseburger with bacon, and we split an order of fries and a Dr. Pepper.  Thankfully it was filling, because I thought it was a little pricey for a couple of burgers, but then again I'm cheap, so what are you going to do?




This was my sandwich.  It was good, I really liked that how the burger was cooked, but my bun was way too mushy and everything just tasted a little off.  But my husband said it was probably just my tastebuds being stupid thanks to a cold I was getting, because he said his...




(This is his.) ...was one of the best burgers he ever ate.  So there you go.  Just look at all that greesy, cheesy, goodness!




Fran's Hamburgers is located at 1822 South Congress Ave, Austin Texas.  If you ever want to go; which you should... I'm just saying..


After we left Fran's, we walked across the street to a bunch of food trucks.  We got dessert at the Hey Cupcake foodtruck.



We split a cupcake because they were huge and they were $3 and you know I'm cheap (see above).  The cupcake we got was called the "Michael Jackson", a chocolate cupcake with white frosting and then we had it stuffed with whipped cream.



We wanted to sit at one of the picnic tables they had, because there were these really pretty lights and Congress is just such a cool street, but it was cold so we ate it the car.  The cake itself was really great, but I thought the frosting was a little too sweet... still it was a darn good, messy, cupcake.



Heaven...

After dessert we headed to the hotel, my husband fell asleep in his clothes on top of the covers.  I finished The Hunger Games, which I had started that morning and went to sleep myself.  It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment