Sunday, February 26, 2012

Easy Chocolate Cake

Everyone loves chocolate!  Everyone.  If someone tells you they don't, they are either lying or clearly mentally unstable; either way you should probably avoid them at all cost.  Below is my interpretation of how a normal person reacts to chocolate...

Picture Source: modenus.com
above: normal

I am obviously joking (mostly), but my point is most people love chocolate and those people also probably love cake.  

Which brings me to one of the easiest and most delicious tasting chocolate cake recipe that I have found so far.  I adapted it from Ina Garten's recipe from FoodNetwork.com.

Easy Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt







1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, at room temp.
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed coffee

Baking Spray with flour
Parchment/Wax paper, to line pans




Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 

Spray pans with baking spray, then line with parchment paper and set aside.

 
Sift together dry ingredients into a bowl.


In another bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients except for the coffee. 

 
With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. 

 
 With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine. 


Pour the batter into the pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until done completely. 


Let rest in the pans for 30 minutes.


Turn them out onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.



And you have yourself a great, easy chocolate cake, perfect for a number of desserts.


One of the reasons why this cake is one of my favorites, is that it is really versatile.  I have frosted it with vanilla frosting, German chocolate frosting, chocolate butter cream frosting and I've used it to make cupcakes!


My most recent use of this chocolate cake was for last month's Super Bowl...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment