Monday, February 27, 2012

How To: Tye Dye Cupcakes


Tye Dye Cupcakes are probably the coolest cupcakes ever invented... I hate to just throw out a blanket statement like that, mainly because there are so many cupcakes out there that others might consider cooler; but I'm going to have to disagree... because they are not. 

The colorfulness, the fact that no two cupcakes are the same, they are Tye Dye... it's practically a no-brainer!

The only downside to the awesomely delicious treats are that they do take a little time and effort.

How To: Tye Dye Cupcakes

Supplies:

White cake batter (whether homemade or from a box, it's up to you) 
at least 4 different colors of food color
4 bowls
4 spoons
cupcake liners
White frosting (like vanilla butter cream)
colorful sprinkles

Directions:

Start with the white cake batter: I made enough to normally make 2 dozen cupcakes, but after all the dividing and pouring, etc. I had enough batter to make about 15 cupcake, so plan accordingly.


Divide you batter into four, or however many colors you want to do.


Add you food color.


Stir to evenly distribute the coloring.  Make sure you don't sure too much or the batter will get loose, making for denser cupcakes.


Pick a color (I chose red) and spoon it in as your bottom layer.  (I'm sure you can tell that I was having problems with my cupcake liners for some infuriating reason..) Make sure you don't put too much of one color in the liners, or else you will either overfill your cupcake holders or have tiny little top layers. (I had this problem..it's tricky!)


Yellow for the next layer...


Green for the next...


and blue for the final layer. Notice: not much green or blue...


To get that "Tye Dye" effect, take a toothpick or wooden skewer and make a quick swirl motion.  Make sure you don't over do it or the colors with blend together to make a brown sort of color!


Make sure you clean off your toothpick or skewer... I was out of paper towels and I didn't want to get the kitchen towels dirty, so I used the palm of my hand!  I felt like one of the blue people in Avatar or something! (Nerd confession: I know that the blue people from Avatar are called Na'vi...just saying)


This is what the cupcakes look like once they are swirled.


Bake the cupcakes according to whatever recipe you are following for your batter.


And tada!

Tye Dye Cupcakes..

Let cool...then frost, and decorate!

***The picture at the top was from another time my sister and I made Tye Dye cupcakes. I left these un-frosted so that I could freeze them.

No comments:

Post a Comment