Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cake Pops: Take 1

Well the first experiment of 2012 turned out to be... unsuccessful...

I have been wanting to try my hand at the current trend in the baking world: Cake Pops; so for Christmas, my grandma gave me and my sister really cool Cake Pops pans; unfortunately when I tried to make the Cake Pops, they did not resemble anything close to what Cake Pops should look like...

For my first attempt I decided to cheat a little and use a cake mix instead of my own recipe.. I know what you're thinking, "That's culinary blasphemy!" but in this situation, for practicing purposes, I decided go the route of "Semi-Homemade" a la Sandra Lee; after all I was testing the technique of Cake Pops making, not my ability to bake a cake...

Anyway...  Here's what I did:

First I gathered all my ingredients:

The French vanilla cake mix, white chocolate chips, Wilton's pink food color, French vanilla pudding mix, and of course of the cake pops pan. (not pictured: pop sticks, sprinkles, and cooking spray)


In the mixer, I put both the cake mix & the pudding mix.  When you add the pudding mix to the other dry mix (or ingredients, if you are making the batter from scratch) it makes a more dense cake.


Next you add the eggs, add an extra egg than whatever mix or recipe you are following.


If your recipe or mix calls for water, add milk instead & just use half.


The vegetable oil goes in next.

Beat until smooth, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.  Scraping sides.


Add the food color.  I chose pink to contract with the white chocolate coating.  Plus I had sprinkles that would look cool with the pink cake!


Spray the pans.


Pour in the batter to the bottom pan.  This is where I made my first mistake. According to the directions I was following, you are suppose to use the WHOLE batch of batter; next time I will just use half.


Place the top pan on top of the bottom d secure that locks. By this point in my experiment, I could tell by the batter dripping over the sides, that they was not going to work.  But I was already invested.


After I let them bake for 25 minutes, I pulled my Cake Pops out...


Yeah, they didn't make it.


They did taste good however!


Well, that was my first try at these little buggers...I guess it's back to square one!

-Rhianna

1 comment: